Wednesday 26 November 2014

Beauty Systems: Nail Care Organization

No comments:
 
I am generally one of those people who is obsessed with reading about organization, but is not very good at finding and sticking to a good system. I've noticed lately that I seem to be in a pretty good place with my beauty storage, so I thought I would share some of my solutions with you over the next few weeks. First up: Nails!
I keep all my supplies in the bottom drawer of my bedside table for two reasons: practicality and functionality. I'm very much of an "out of sight out of mind" type of person, but having all I need so close to my bed really reminds me to actually use my products on a regular basis. Also, I usually do my nails in bed so there is really no excuse for leaving bottles of polish strewn all over the room when I can just bend down and put them away immediately after use. Keeping the polishes in a separate box means they can all be moved quickly and neatly to another space if need be.
Since I'm always looking at them from above, I learned that to keep myself organized I had to find a way to see the colours from the top. I had seen some people paint dots on the top of the bottle, but I still wanted to be able to see the shade names underneath so instead I painted white page reinforcements and stuck them to the labels.

Most of you would probably stop at this point but I like to take it one step further and arrange the polishes by use/colour. I keep base coats/top coats and neutrals on the side closest to me since they are my most reached for products, and then from there filter down through shades. Since we're in fall/winter season I'm gravitating more towards metallics, deeper shades and glitters at the moment and leaving my brights and pastels in the back for when I rearrange for spring/summer.
In the back of the drawer I keep my reinforcements, which as mentioned I use for identifying polish colours, but also for simple nail art like this look I did a post on last year. In a little glass container I keep all my grooming/shaping tools: nail clippers, files and buffers (glass files are an absolute must for smooth nails!). I usually keep a separate container for cotton pads and qtips for touchups but I was running low so I tossed them all in one to keep it simple.
Up at the front I keep some more essentials. First, a mini bottle of polish remover that I'm hoping to soon replace with the kind that allows you to pump out the product (any suggestions on brands?). Second, I have my bottle of Seche Restore, which I don't actually use with Seche Vite since I don't own any. This stuff is like magic for making your older polishes that are starting to dry out/thicken like new again! I have used it coutless times to bring some of my favourite discontinued shades back to life.

Finally, I have two different hand creams, one of which I will use either after everything has dried or before bed. The True Blue Shea Cashmere Hand Cream leaves your hands feeling like silk, but it has a pretty strong sweet scent that I sometimes find overpowering. When I'm looking for something unscented I'll use this Cetaphil cream that I got as a sample. It is really meant for the body, but is pretty lightweight so it makes a decent hand cream. Once I finish this one I'll be replacing it with my all time favourite which is the St. Ives Skin Renewing lotion, since it is completely non-sticky and smells amazing.

What do you use to store/organize your nail care products?

keep up with me: bloglovin' | instagram | pinterest | twitter
xoNadia

No comments:

Post a Comment