Friday 12 December 2014

Holiday Makeup: Sparkle & Shine {Sonia Kashuk Showstoppers Review}

No comments:
 
If you didn't already catch it, last week I did a day to night look that would be perfect for work parties and casual holiday get togethers. This week, we're going to get a little bit more dramatic with my favourite recent find for the holidays.
I was wandering the aisles of Target one day and stopped to check out the Sonia Kashuk section. All of the quads were beautiful, but Showstoppers immediately caught my eye. While most of the other quads contained more typical eyeshadow textures with one more sparkly option, this was a complete glitter palette and I knew it needed to come home with me.
After swatching the colours I became even more excited about trying them on my eyes. As you can see above, for glitters they have pretty decent pigmentation all on their own. The two lighter shades don't have as much of a base colour, but the bronze and black/charcoal pack a serious punch. When washing the swatches off my hand, it took some scrubbing to get the black completely off.

Glitter can be a bit of a mess, so the fact that these come pressed is amazing. I've used them both with a brush and my finger to apply, and I personally prefer my finger because it minimizes fall out. I don't think any glitter will give you zero fallout, but in my experiences with these the level of fallout was pretty limited - much better in fact than the Sidecar colour in the UD Naked palette, where I always end up with glitter particles falling all over my face.
In both looks I've used the shadows as more of a glitter top coat for looks I've created underneath. This was just my preference, as it avoids the issue of intense blending which could be cause for more fallout. 

This first look you may recognize from my Creative Closet post last week. For this look I started out with a matte base - a neutral beige colour all over the lid, a cool taupe in the crease and under the lash line, and some black winged out liner. I patted the white glitter over the lid and it brought a beautiful subtle sparkle to the eye.
For this look I got a little bit more more smokey, and layered the glitters on top of shades from my UD Naked palette. I used my favourite combination of champagne on the lid, bronze in the outer corner and crease, and a matte neutral brown to blend out the crease and lower lash line to keep it from being shine overload. I used a brown liner in the waterline so it wouldn't take away from the focus on the lid. I layered the pale gold glitter over Sin, and the Bronze glitter over Smog, and it created an amazing glow to the eye that is difficult to capture through the camera but looks beautiful in person. 

This palette is a bit more expensive for drugstore, coming it at around $13-14, but if you are a fan of glitter I highly suggest picking it up. The neutral colours make it the perfect final touch to any holiday look without being over the top. You can bet this is the palette I'll be rocking to ring in the new year!
 
Have you tried any of the other Sonia Kashuk Quads?
 
keep up with me: bloglovin' | instagram | pinterest | twitter
xoNadia

No comments:

Post a Comment