Wednesday 25 March 2015

DIY Natural Daily Brush Cleanser

No comments:
 
If you're anything like me, cleaning your makeup brushes is one of those necessary chores that you just don't look forward to. Deep cleaning leaves your brushes out of commission for hours, so for daily cleaning I used a spot cleanser.

I used to purchase these from MAC and Sephora, but when you look at the ingredients they are usually 90% alcohol. While that works well for sanitizing and quickly drying brushes, I find that when I use cleansers with alcohol it tends to make the brush hairs dry and brittle. I pay good money for my brushes and want them to last, so I experimented to come up with my own solution.

All you need are three simple ingredients than can be found at most drugstores:
Witch Hazel - a natural astringent
Tea Tree Oil -  kills bacteria (you could also use lemon, lavender or another anti-bacterial essential oil if you don't like the scent of tea tree oil)
Glycerin - adds moisture (you can find natural or vegetable glycerin at many natural pharmacies or online)
Since exposure to light can decrease the shelf life of essential oils, I suggest trying to find an opaque spray bottle to house your cleanser. Add 5 parts Witch Hazel, 1 part Tea Tree Oil, and a few drops of Glycerin to your bottle, and you're pretty much ready to go! I recommend shaking before use to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.

Spraying on the cloth instead of the brushes will help to keep drying time to a minimum. Simply swirl your brushes into the cleanser to remove all the grime, and use a dry section of the cloth to absorb excess moisture.
I think the photo speaks for itself! Of course I still give my brushes a good shampoo every few weeks, but by spot cleaning them daily I am helping keep my brushes and my skin clean and free of bacteria.

Be honest - how often do you clean your brushes?
 
keep up with me: bloglovin' | instagram | pinterest | twitter
xoNadia

No comments:

Post a Comment